Thursday, September 11, 2008

You Live, You Learn

This is my last catch up story for the night before I need to head to bed.
We actually have one room that we have designated as a guest room. Right now it is actually occupied by 2 guests for the week. A friend of Jake's and his friend just got hired by Northrop, only they can't get into the apartment they will be sharing until Friday, so they are staying with us until then. They are 2 really great guys that have been helping around the house and are both really great with kids, and I am grateful for that. Anyways. We actually previously had a spare bed but I got rid of it because we were trying to downsize and thought we wouldn't be having a guest room. You live you learn. I shouldn't have gotten rid of it.
So now we are looking for a gently-used cheaper but still nice bed to get. I saw a queen-size mattress on craig's list that looked really decent and was only $40. Plus it was a really nice mattress that is usually close to $1000. It was out in Benson which is 30 minutes away. I went out to get it and everything looked good. They already had it outside, and there were no stains and it still felt firm and good. I didn't notice anything. After I started driving with it in the back of the car I started to notice. They were obviously smokers. They probably didn't smoke in bed, but the smell would be in your hair, on your clothes, on your hands, etc. It made the car smell like a smokey hotel room. Not super smokey like you walked into a bar or something. But faint smokey that sneaks up on you, and then gets unbearable. I should have taken it right back; I should have asked, before committing to buy, if they were smokers; I should have taken a closer smell before loading it into my car; I should have grown a backbone and confronted those people. That is something people should disclose. You live you learn. Now we have this mattress that is sitting in the shed that we don't know what to do with. There is no way it is going in our house. Our car smelled of smoke for several days after, that is not how I want my house to smell. It will probably just get taken to the dump because my conscience won't allow me to resell that to some other poor unsuspecting fool like myself. $40 down the drain.

1 comment:

Hope said...

Go to Freecycle.org and see if there is a group in your area. You can probably find someone who won't mind a nice, but smokey mattress and will come pick it up. You will be out $40, BUT you won't have it hanging around forever and it won't end up unnecessarily in the landfill.