Monday, November 10, 2008

Mother's Immunity

I don't have it. My mom seemed to have an immunity to whatever disease we were carrying, and a very strong resistance to her gag reflex so that she could clean up whatever disgusting mess we made. I think it is assumed that since you are the mom you never get sick from your kids, and you are able to clean up everything. I usually do OK, but Jaxon started throwing up on Friday and has had terrible diarrhea all weekend. It has been gross. Then this morning Lyla woke me up very very early to say that she threw up. It was all over her bed. covered. I don't know how she had that much in her. I almost threw up when I was taking her sheets off, and had to take a break and go outside. I just couldn't handle it. Does that make me a bad mom? The fact that I have a gag reflex? Then Jaxon woke up with diarrhea running down his legs and all over his bed. Jake came home from work feeling awful and has been sleeping all day. It looks like we are gearing up for a fun week. I have been a little woozie and really tired, but no stomach problems yet. Let's hope my "motherly immunity" kicks in soon.

3 comments:

Hope said...

I am not the kind of mom who holds your hair back while you throw up. I am the kind of mom who stands outside the bathroom door and yells, "Make sure to make it in the toilet!"

One of my worst memories is when Michael threw up in the top bunk and puke ran all down the wall. Gag.

I have actually thrown sheets away instead of washing them when necessary.

Maria said...

I have a gag reflex too... I am normally able to recover and do whatever is necessary, but what can you do? I am lucky that my husband can handle most things even better than me, except for baby poop... that was all me! But if he's around, he usually takes over until it's at a point I can do better. Gross food is his responsibility too. And it's funny because I grew up with animal poop cleaning responsibilities and that doesn't bother me under normal circumstances. You are also pregnant, which could make you more "sensitive" to smells and I find it's really a mental imagery problem that makes it worse for me.

Don't worry... you are in good company. :)

Karen said...

You're not a bad mom- just pregnant, like Maria said. Have you gotten the dreaded sickness too?