Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Results

I had mixed feelings about the election results. I think that Obama's victory is something that our country needs right now. I think it is neat to see so many people getting involved that have never been politically active before, and the passion that Obama has created is really great. I feel like it is waking up the "American Spirit" and it will be good for our country to see so many foreigners that are going to gain confidence in the country and so many people "be proud to be American" again. McCain had some passionate supporters, but most republicans would not be crying and hugging in the streets if he had won. That is why he didn't win I suppose. I think it is great to have a president that people are so excited about, and that hasn't happened in a VERY long time. Most people say not since JFK. That is something we needed.
BUT I am really scared of what the fallout will be with the democrats in complete control. It is scary when a government has no checks or balances. I wouldn't want the republicans in complete control either -by the way- I think it is good when the parties can keep each other in check so things passed can be relatively in the middle. I personally am worried that the drastic increases in social spending will mean either lots more taxes or lots more debt for our country and that scares me. I don't think we need either of those things right now. Only time will tell on that as well.
We also had some heated local elections that I was excited about. We had a ballot measure on making marriage between one man and one woman part of the state constitution that passed. It was on the ballot 2 years ago and failed. But they simplified it and took a lot of things out and it passed this time. I am glad for that. I was disappointed that we didn't get an override passed for our school budget. I don't feel like this community is very supportive of the school system. This really could mean the loss of the Art, Music, and PE classes. They are taught as separate classes by different teachers right now, and they are usually the first thing to go when there is a funding problem. But the state still expects the kids to meet certain standards in those areas and it puts an additional burden on the teachers.
I thought it was also neat that the marriage proposition in CA looks like it will pass, though they haven't officially called it yet. CA is in a weird situation now though, because they have lots of people who are already married, so what will they do if the ban passes? Take away all of those existing marriage licenses? Though I do not support gay marriage I think that that particular situation is very hard to figure out, and very sad for those people whose lives hang in the balance at the mercy of CA voters.

1 comment:

SDR said...

Where do you look for the majority of your current events knowledge? the major news- CNN and so forth?just curious?