Thursday, August 7, 2008

First Day of School!!

The girls were so excited to start school they could hardly sleep Monday night. They had picked out the clothes they were going to wear and laid out their backpacks and everything. If I had pictures of them that morning, they would have looked extremely excited and happy. BUT...
I am the one mother who didn't have a camera when dropping my kids off for the first day of school. Actually I did have a camera, I took the battery out to charge it so it would be ready. Then we went to school without the battery the next morning. So I got pictures of the girls after they had had their first day and it's not quite the same.

Lyla did really well and was excited, but Mckayla didn't do so good. She got in trouble and was throwing little fits and stomping her foot towards the end of the day. So we didn't have too much success in helping her to be happy and pose for "first day" pictures. We were trying to decide what the consequence should be for acting up at school. Any suggestions? Though Jake said he couldn't even talk because he broke some poor kid's arm on his first day of kindergarten and got sent home after the principle threatened to kill him. So a little tired fit is nothing.
She tried to be happy though, after I begged her to give me a smile.
Lyla tried really hard to help Mckayla cheer up. We decided to put them in separate classes. It was hard for them to be separated for the entire day. Both teachers said that they were asking for their sister. I think it will be better for them to get their own identity. In their preschool class none of the kids could tell them apart, so they were just called "twin girl." The teacher tried, but she didn't always get it. Mckayla can also tend to dominate over Lyla, and they can be a bit bullyish towards other kids when they are together. Anyways, I hope we made the right decision; only time will tell.
I took pictures this morning when the girls lined up for classes. It is funny because all of the kindergarteners look so lost and confused when they line up.
This is Mckayla in line for her class. She concentrated really hard on staying right behind the girl in front of her. They had been working on "how to walk in a line" ( I know because she sang the song for me last night), she followed the other girl really good, though that girl kindof went off to the side leading Mckayla and a few others that way.
Mckayla had a much better day today. She is so exhausted when she gets home from school. Lyla doesn't seem to be as tired or grumpy. But both days of school so far Mckayla has fallen asleep in the car on the way home. The girls really want to be able to ride the bus home, but that will have to wait until we move into our house.
We have managed to be early both days so far. Now I just have to figure out what to do with my free time. The house was so quiet! I got really bored too. I don't know what to do with myself. Jaxon got bored too. As much as he whines and complains when the girls touch him, he kept crawling into their room to see if they were there.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I love the pictures! Keep 'em coming! I remember crying on my first day of school..:( And they think the bus is cool... until they ride it long enough! Now you need to find a friend for you and Jaxon! Jared will spend an at least an hour outside with the dogs...and the tractor. That helps me get a break and get some house stuff done. But I still wish I didn't have dogs sometimes!

Amber said...

Yay for school!! You'll have plenty to do in a couple weeks when you have a house to put together. They're adorable (as usual). Mckayla looks So sad!

The Gerlings said...

Hey! I'm meandering from the Ratliff's blog and finding everyone!

School is a tough adjustment. There are all sorts of rules and you can't wander away like you want, but the girls will adjust. Give them a month or two to get the hang of it down and they'll be fine.

Smiles- Leiah et al