Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Pre-Thanksgiving

I am still trying to catch up on all of the November posts I had been meaning to write, but I am nearing the end of November. On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving Mckayla's class decided to do a Thanksgiving dinner with their 3rd grade buddy class. Only they were going to have to make a lot of the Thanksgiving dinner themselves. The class was split up into groups and each group made something. One group made cornbread, one made fruit salad, one made stuffing, one made pumpkin pie in a cup desserts (which were totally awesome), and our group made mashed potatos. We had to cut them and boil them and mash them. Once everything was cooking the kids paired off and went outside to make butter. I had never seen that before. But they just put heavy cream in a jar and the kids took turns with their buddies shaking the heck out of the jars until it clumped into butter. It could've used some salt, but otherwise it tasted great. The dinner was really good and we had some leftovers even though most of the unoccupied staff at the school came and joined in the eating. Below is Mckayla eating:

This is the spread of food they had, and Mckayla getting her plate filled.
This is a butter-shaking shot of Mckayla outside.
I really enjoy getting to go help out in the girls' classrooms. I like meeting their friends from school and talking with their teachers. I feel like it is important for me to be involved at the school so I know what is going on and how things are done there. It makes me feel like I am part of their education even though I am just sending them off to school.


No comments: