Thursday, April 3, 2008

Alright I've got to do a Poli Post

So I really do want this blog to be about diapers and politics. Mostly politics because I love to invoke discussion. I enjoying learning from other people who often help me to see sides of things I couldn't before. Something that a lot of people are talking about right now is Zimbabwe. If you think our inflation is bad, don't even think about their currency. There is a student at my school named Totenda and he is from Zimbabwe. He is our student body president, and one of the nicest people I have met at that school.
My polisci classes have been talking about Zimbabwe non-stop. They have been under Mugabe for over 3 decades, he is of course as bad as any ruthless dictator. But Zimbabwe was doing alright as a middle-income country for awhile. But the past several years the economy has gone to the dump and the currency has been inflated to over 100,000 percent. I don't know how or why they even measure inflation at that point. The people have almost no way to function. Totenda says that they pay by the hour because the wages will go up by the hour and you buy your drink before you sit down because the price will have gone up by the time you would have been ready to pay. At this point it is mostly a barter economy. People have given up on money, and the economy is about to stop because there is no way to pay wages or buy goods.
They actually had elections and Mugabe didn't win the majority even with all of the bruttal force he uses. The people are taking a stand. All I have to say is that the guy who ran against him has got a lot of courage because there have already been several attempts on his life. If someone else can take over I think they will have to completely scrap the old currency and start to re-circulate a brand new currency to try to ge the economy to move again. Anyways, it'll be interesting if Mugabe will step down at all, even though he lost the election. Here is a link or two about the conflict:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23929752/
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/04/world/africa/04zimbabwe.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

No comments: