Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ice Fishing

Jake wanted to take us all ice fishing, because that is something that he always did every winter. I have only been fishing a couple of times in my whole life, so ice fishing was a new experience for me. I think the kids are still a little too young though. Soon after we got the girls all set up they were asking when they'd get to see the fish. Plus, it was a pretty cold day, so after about an hour they were ready to get warm again. Plus, I had to take Jaxon to go sit in the car after 30 minutes or so. He had a hard time walking on the ice, and he slipped into a puddle and got all wet. I had to get him to the car to get all of his wet clothes off so he wouldn't get too cold. Lyla's pole actually did catch a fish though. She was so proud to say that "she" caught a fish. Even though Jake had just propped her pole up and she had gone to the car to warm up.

Here is Lyla showing off her fish, though Jake had a hard time getting her to touch it long enough to hold it for a picture.
This is a shot of our little fishing site in the middle of the lake.

Up close to our fishing site, with Amelie fishing like a pro.

Here's the girls fishing in their little holes.

This is Jake and his dad making holes for us to fish in. Everyone who was out there that day had oggers with them. Ours was a gas-powered ogger, but some were walking out there with hand-crank oggers. I couldn't believe how hard it was to get a hole in the ice with this thing, I can't imagine doing it by hand.
Though we didn't catch much the first day, the girls had a lot of fun and it was a good experience for them. Jake and his dad went back the next morning and found a much better spot that was further away. They ended up maxing out the limit! We still have 9 good-size trout in the freezer that I need to fix up for dinner sometime.




1 comment:

KAT said...

Good job Lyla catching a fish! That sure does look cold. I might agree with Jaxon.