Friday, April 2, 2010

Classics Challenge

So I know that I have a lot of catch-up blogging to do, but I have become a bit of a bookworm since moving to Arizona. A friend of mine joined an online reading challenge, so I decided to join in as well. To learn about this challenge and join go HERE.

I actually challenged myself to read 'the classics' awhile ago. Because, though I wasn't able to attend school at the time, I still wanted to be educating myself. I usually feel very enriched by reading some of the classics. I have also been struck by how many of these books have influenced culture and society today. I thought it was interesting that they had a list of 'future classics' for a bonus read. I am going to share some of my recent reads that I consider to be classics (or if they are on the 'future classic' list) and would love to hear some suggestions for classics I should get in for this challenge.

Recent Classic Reads:
*The Woman in White *The Count of Monte Cristo *The Jungle *The Odessy *The Hiding Place *To Kill a Mockingbird *1984 *The Great Gatsby *Animal Farm *Beowolf *Canterbury Tales *Othello * Treasure Island
And some of my recent reads that are on their 'future classic list that I highly recommend:
*The Life of Pi *3 Cups of Tea *The Atonement *1776 *Girl with the Pearl Earring *Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

Suggestions from anyone????

The goal is to read 6 classics before October 31st of this year. Plus a bonus future classic if you want. My six right now are (subject to change)

1. Frankenstein - I keep seeing this on classics list, but it seems so strange to have it on there. I'm very curious about it now.
2. Fahrenheit 451 - I already own it, so I have no excuse
3. Huckleberry Finn - Same deal, I already have it but haven't read it yet
4. A Tale of Two Cities - I just have yet to read anything by Dickens and it is a shame.
5. Pride and Predjudice - Cliche I know, but it is my favorite movie, and I really should read the book.
6. Alice and Wonderland - My girls have recently become obsessed with this movie and I would like to see what the book is like.
*I also would like to do the 'school classics' like Catcher in the Rye, Of Mice and Men, etc but I'll get to it someday.
Bonus: I'm not sure. I am thinking of reading 'A Town Called Alice', I have had it recommended like a classic, but I am not sure if that is the full title or not. I am open to suggestions.
I challenge all of you to join in the challenge and chat with me about books!!!!

7 comments:

Leah said...

It looks like you have read the books I have on my "to read list" and I have read the books on my "already read list. I have recently reviewed Alice in Wonderland if you are interested in checking it out. I really enjoyed Frankenstien (read it last year) although it was completely different than any movie version.
Happy reading!

leah

http://ouryearinbooks.blogspot.com

Amber said...

I really liked A Town Like Alice when I read it a couple years ago. I'd suggest 'The Help' as a future classic read. It's my top recommendation for this year.

Jessica said...

My recommendations of your list:

You will LOVE Pride and Prejudice. It's all dialogue between sisters, mostly. It's even better than any film remake of it, and that's saying a lot. Luke likes it, although he might loose man points for admitting it.

I liked A Town Like Alice. It was a different part of the WWII story I had never read about before.

Skip Catcher and the Rye (it'll pollute your mind).

Huckleberry Finn is such a good story and pushes political/racial issues, which you should enjoy.

Happy reading!

Sarah Schwartz said...

Sarah, you have to read Memoir in Antproof Case by Mark Helprin. It starts out a little slow but became one of my all time faves. Hilarious!

Hannah said...

My recommendations:
Alice in Wonderland, super short, the book is crazier than any movie remake. Read it because it is short.

A Town Like Alice (the original title of the book is The Legacy, though it is never called by that name anymore) I thought that the first half was really good and the second was so slow. Read the first half.

I also liked Pride and Prejudice a lot.

Another book I liked is the Glass Castle.

Ivan said...

Sounds like fun. I've read a couple of the books on your list, and I would recommend them.

Fahrenheit 451 - Pretty good book. Definitely influenced by the times it was written in.

Catcher in the Rye - Found it quite interesting. Some of the period terminology is a lil hard to understand, but it's definitely an interesting read, though not a "happy fun time" read or for the easily offended.

Karen said...

I read Huckleberry Finn and To Kill a Mockingbird in school - long time ago. Good books.
I read A Town Called Alice and really liked it.Made me want to go to see Australia.
RS studied literature at one point in Sunday lessons and we read The Hiding Place. That's an unforgetable story.
You gave me Three cups of Tea to listen to. It was wonderful and I'd like to listen to the sequel.

Now I'm just reading text books and am tired of it. I'd love to get back to literature!