Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Two Books

I had previously joined the two book groups because I had gone to both and couldn't decide between them. This month one group read 'The Count of Monte Cristo' which I decided to read first because I had picked 'Three Cups of Tea' for the other group and was to lead the discussion so I wanted it to be fresh in my mind. this turned out to be a mistake because 'The Count of Monte Cristo' turned out to be a VERY long book. It is my fault for getting the unabridged version, not realizing just how long it was since I got it on audio on my ipod. I had to have a rush of listening and listen to 'Three Cups of Tea' in 2 days, barely finishing it 30 minutes before the club was to meet. I thought I'd give a little review of the books for those who are interested.

1. The Count of Monte Cristo- Very good, but VERY long. Longer than I thought it would be. And even though it was long I still kind of felt like it ended abruptly. There was just so much story ingeniously woven together that it took a long time to get through. Definitely Dumas' greatest work IMO. It gets a bit sinister, but it is an awesome story. I think everyone knows or has heard the story, but you would never know how complex this twisting, turning plot is unless you read the book. No movie could ever do it justice. Though it is long, you won't feel like it drags on, it continues to be a nail-biting page turner to the very end. If you like action, you'll like this one.

2. Three Cups of Tea- Awe inspiring. This is a life-changing true story of the difference one man is making in Afghanistan and Pakistan. I think every American should read this book and see a different view of how to fight 'The war on Terror.' What struck me most was the love this man has for those people. Such hatred is being cultivated in America towards muslims and it is really sad to put them all under the same umbrella. This book makes you want to get up and do something and make a difference. It made me feel so insignificant and feel like I needed some loftier goals to work towards. I really recommend this book, especially in the political climate we have in our country.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I love Count of Monte Cristo, and it's good you read it first because maybe you wouldn't have gotten to it or finished it. I felt like it was a page turner, even if it is long. He is driven by revenge, which doesn't make for a really MORAL story, but a really good one.

I do love Three Cups of Tea, which is very moral without shoving it in your face. It has a slow start, but it is good to see how Mortensen learned to do business and work with the people in Pakistan and Afganistan by listening to them and how they work together. Insightful.

Jessica said...

When I heard Mortensen speak last spring, he talked about how the three cups of tea are really when you would sit down with the people and LISTEN to them instead of coming in on top and TELLING what needs done.